Friday, April 10, 2009

"Good" Friday

I've always wondered why they've called it "Good Friday." To me it's not a day that I associate "good" with. To me it's a somber day to reflect on all that my Jesus went through. I've known for as long as I can remember that crucifixion is one of the cruelest ways to die. I've even read the medical description and I just can't fathom that my Savior did that for me. And what is hard to grasp is that if I was the only person he needed to do it for he still would have gone through with it. As I write this it's about 12:15 and typically we think of Jesus being on the cross from about 12:00 to 3:00. The next few hours I'm going to be reflecting on the pain and agony my sweet precious Jesus went through so that I could have the opportunity to live with him forever.

The old familiar hymn comes to mind-

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.


I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

No comments: