Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grace and Mercy

Grace is defined in the following way:

1.elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action:
2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment:  
3. favor or goodwill. 
4. a manifestation of favor, especially by a superior:
5. mercy; clemency; pardon:


Mercy is defined in the following way:

1. compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence: 
2. the disposition to be compassionate or forbearing:
3. the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, especially to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty.
4. an act of kindness, compassion, or favor:
5. something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing:
 
It is through these two words that God continues to prick my heart when dealing with those around me. He calls us to have and extend both of these to all we come into contact with on a daily basis. For me that can be difficult! You have those in your life that you continually have to extend these to. And in some cases it's not ever reciprocated to you. It feels like you've been slapped in the face each time. Oh how it hurts! There are those people who are unthankful, unkind, unlovable perhaps, or even wicked that God places in our lives. It's those exact people that He says deserve grace and mercy the most. In his word he tells us "Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked." Luke 6:35 (NLT)
 
And I think it can't be done. Yet, God does it to me every day! Through his great love he extends grace and mercy to me each day. I am unthankful, unkind, even unlovable in my relationship with my heavenly Father and still He gives me the grace, mercy and forgiveness I need. Why? Because the depth of His love for me is unbelievable! I have to love others the way he loves me. With the help of the Holy Spirit my ways have to become His ways. I have to be Jesus to others in all that I do, say, and think!
 
So today I'm going to decide to love the unlovely. I'm going to be kind to those who are unkind. I'm going to be patient with those who invade my space. I'm going to be Jesus to those around me!!
 
Thank you Lord for loving me unconditionally! Because only you know where I would be without it! It's my prayer that I can do the same with others you've placed in my life. May others see Jesus in me every day! Amen



No comments: