Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years


I was a junior in high school working in the library. We had the tv on because history was being made. A school teacher was on the space shuttle for the first time. I can remember watching the launch and being in awe of what was happening. And then 73 seconds later seeing the devastation that the whole country saw. It was hard to believe. 7 crew members lost their lives that day:  Michael Smith, Dick Scobee, Judith Resnik, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Gregory Jarvis, and Christa McAuliffe.

I can still hear the words of our president, Ronald Reagan, as he spoke to us that night.

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of God.'

It's hard to believe it's been 25 years! Where were you when it happened? What do you remember about that day?

3 comments:

Angelwingsbaby said...

I was 9 years old and home sick from school laying on the couch alone.I remember feeling shocked and in disbelief at what happened and so sad that the crew lost their lives, even in my young age.

Jonelle said...

I was in 3rd grade and I remember when it happened time sort of stopped that day. Everyone was talking about what had happened. All the teachers were crying. At the end of the year our school put the astronauts picture in our yearbook in memoriam.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I was in in 2nd grade in our classroom watching on the TV they brought in.

I can remember being confused as to what happened when it exploded... wondering "is that supposed to happen?"